Affordable Sun Guardian Description
Transparent outdoor solar shades make patios, decks, porches, pergolas, lanais and gazebos more comfortable. Designed to block the sun’s heat and glare and reduce fading, the woven fabric also allows air to pass though for ventilation. Outdoor shades stop more heat than interior ones. Transparent shades provide daytime privacy with full vision outwards at maximum dimensions of 144 inches by 144 inches and winds up to 15 mph.
Darker colors stop heat by 10% over lighter colors.
Sun Guardian™ All Weather Fabrics are constructed from the toughest PVC coated polyester, rated # 1 in durability and performance. They are more mold, mildew and bacteria resistant due to the addition of Microban, a biocide in the vinyl coating.
Sun Guardian™ Fabrics come extra wide to minimize the need for seams. If seams are required they are sonically welded for the strongest possible bonding.
Flammability: Flame Retardant
California Title 4 (register 82, No. 42 10/16/82) papa
Affordable Sun Guardian
Hiding the Roller
Click Images below for details
Extruded Aluminum Housing
End caps and housing completely powder coated aluminum. Does not rust.
Fascia front is powder coated aluminum and does not rust. End brackets are powder coated steel, and may rust after several years if exposed to rain, high humidity, or salt air.
Side Rails, Bungees & Cable Systems
Side Rail Options (must order with housing box) Fabric is NOT inserted into side rail. There is 1/4″ gap between the side rail and the fabric.
Housing and Side Rail Color Choices
Optional Cable Systems
Click Images below for details
Outdoor rated clutches
Affordable Sun Guardian Construction
If you've got windy conditions, switch to our Heavy Duty Solar Shades.
An outdoor Sun Guardian shade should be retracted in windy conditions.If you are looking for a shade you can have down while you are not present, upgrade to a heavy duty shade equipped with a wind sensor. (More than 10-15 mph) Shades must be mounted to the underside of a beam/ceiling or to the face of a beam/wall, and cannot be 'end mounted.'
- Our outdoor shades are built to last. Custom manufactured to your exact specifications, all our outdoor shades are triple locked to rust proof rollers with spring loaded clips and then sealed with a weatherproof bonding to protect against the elements.
- Our outdoor shade fabrics are engineered to withstand years of outdoor use. These outdoor fabrics are fade and flame resistant, remain stable under hot and cold temperatures, have an extra layer of biocide to inhibit the mold and mildew, and comes in extra wide widths to reduce the need for seaming.
- Brackets are marine grade with a rust proof powder coating. They come in your choice of black or white. For corrosive salt water exposure we recommend upgrading to our Dacromet brackets.
- Rollease Exterior rated clutches in matching black or white, have stainless steel internal springs to avoid rust. Super Clutches are automatically added to large shades to reduce the effort required to lift heavy shades.
- Chains are UV resistant and won't break down. Chain lengths are 3/4's of the way down the shade.
- Outdoor shades are constructed with a heavy duty aluminum weight bar at the bottom to prevent fraying. This bar comes in white, black, bronze, light beige, or anodized and is secured to the welded bottom weight pocket.
- Stainless steel D Rings with self tapping screws are included with each shade to tie it down. Also available are optional custom 8" bungee cords. Secure bungee cords to the D Rings as shown in the photo to minimize how much the shades move in windy conditions. We can custom manufacturer bungee cords to the length you need.
- An optional cable system on each side of the shade helps stabilize the shade movement in windy conditions and can also serve as a tie down for motorized shades.
- Optional 4" aluminum housing in 7 matching colors hide the roller are available. Housing mounts either to the face of a beam or the underside of a beam. If the drop is more than 132" you will need to upgrade to our Grande shade in a 5 1/2" aluminum housing.
- Optional Side Rails are offered in 7 colors. Side Rails are 2" wide and 3/4" deep. Side rails lock down the bottom bar of the shade only. There is a 1/4" gap between the side of the fabric and the beginning of the side rails so the fabric will not blow out. Side rails require a level, even mounting surface (not more than 1/4" shim is acceptable) and the purchase of the aluminum housing. Request L Channel brackets for inside mounting side rails. Housing box required with side rails.
- L shaped fascias are available to hide the front of the roller. Top and back of shade are exposed; fascias covers front and bottom of roller. Some light can come through these as they are not a sealed box.
- A reverse roll to hide the roller is offered at no charge. Available with exposed roll only.
- You will need to supply your own mounting screws/lag bolts.
- Fabric Deductions
Sun GuardianTM Fabrics come extra wide to minimize the need for seams. If seams are required they are sonically welded for the strongest possible bonding.
Sun Guardian Transparent Outdoor Shade Samples
Click swatches to add to cart.
Sample has successfully
been added to cart.
Click on "X" to close this window and add more samples.
» Click here to checkout
10% openness means the fabric is 90% dense and keeps out 90% of the sun.
5% openness means the fabric is 95% dense and keeps out 95% of the sun.
(Best for Eastern and Western exposures.)
3% openness means the fabric is 97% dense and keeps out 97% of the sun.
(Best for Eastern and Western exposures.)
Darker colors provide sharper outward visibility and 10% more heat rejection than lighter colors. Shades need to be retracted under windy conditions.
*Shades larger than 119″wide x 117″high will require a horizontal sonically welded seam.
**Shades larger than 96″wide x 94″high will require a horizontal sonically welded seam.
***Shades larger than 126″wide x 124″high will require a horizontal sonically welded seam.
These fabrics include microban antimicrobial additives which inhibit the growth of stain and odor causing mold and mildew.
We are happy to send you up to SIX swatches per shade type.
Affordable Sun Guardian
Installing Motorized Sun Guardian Shades with 4 Housing
Installing Outdoor Motorized Fascia Shades
Installing Outdoor Sun Guardian Chain Shades - D-Rings and Bungee Cords
Installing Sun Guardian Cable System with 4 Housing
How to Install Sun Guardian Chain Shades Inside Frame Mount
How to Install Sun Guardian Chain Shades Outside Frame Mount
Installing Motorized Sun Guardian Shades with 4 Housing and Side Rails
Installing Cable System for Outdoor Shades
Installing Fascia for Indoor and Outdoor Manual Chain Shades
Some footage may show components that do not look exactly like the ones you will receive, but the procedure being demonstrated is correct.
Download PDFs to Review Below.
Q: What is the depth required?
Depth required for a flush mount depends on a combination of width, height, material ordered, lift system, and headrail option. Contact us for specific information about your particular order. General guidelines:
- Exposed Roll: Smallest shades require 2 3/8" (most shades under 84" wide) while wider and taller ones can take up to 3 3/8" or 3 7/8".
- Fascia: Either 3" or 4". Most shades under 84” wide take 3”, while all shades over 84" take 4".
- Housing box: All shades take 4” housing box, unless they are both wider and taller than 120", in which case you may need to upgrade to a Grande Shade
Q: What is the fabric width?
Fabric width varies depending on lift system and headrail option. Contact us for specific information about your particular order.Bottom bar and end caps extend 1/4--5/16" wider than the actual cloth. General Guidelines:
- Exposed Roll or Fascia : Fabric is 1 3/8" narrower than the tips of the roller. Gap is larger on the chain side than the idler end. Gap is the same on each side for motorized shades.
- 4" Housing box: Fabric is 2" narrower than the end caps of the box. Gap is the same on each side.
- 4" Housing and 2" Side Channels: Fabric is 4 1/4" narrower than the end caps of the box. There is a 1/4--1/8" gap between the fabric itself and the channel.
Q: Will Solar Shades save me money?
Exterior Solar Shades are the best defense against the heat. They started in Europe as a way to keep buildings cool. Because they absorb the solar radiation before it passes through and needs to be reflected out, they keep the interior much cooler. Darker colors on the exterior absorb more light and are therefore 10% more effective than light colors against the heat.
Q: The material on my shade is rolling up crooked. What causes this and how do I fix it?
This is usually caused by the installation not being level; the shade will roll towards the higher side. It must be corrected immediately or the shade material, telescoping over the end, will rub the shade brackets and get damaged. Best solution is to remount the brackets so the shade will be level.
Another solution is to lower the shade until the roller is exposed. On the side opposite the incorrect roll place a 3 inch length of 1 1/2" masking tape on the long edge of the shade material, or on the roller edge. This will balance (level) the roller. Additional layers of tape may be required until the shade rolls up evenly.
Operate the shade slowly to be sure the roll is correct; stop at once if the material runs to one side.