In an article titled “Sleep Oasis,” by Jennifer Barrett, we learn of “Inviting the Darkness.” Barrett writes “Overhauling the bedroom starts with an acknowledgment that your body needs to sleep in near total darkness for optimum health. Darkness prompts the pineal gland to produce melatonin, a hormone that increases both sleepiness as well as length and quality of sleep.”
Sleep is crucial
1. There’s no denying a great night’s sleep can not only make you feel better, but make you look better too.
2. According to Health.com, sleep can improve memory. “Your mind is surprisingly busy while you snooze. During sleep you can strengthen memories or ‘practice’ skills learned while you were awake (it’s a process called consolidation.)”
3. You’ll be in a great mood, according to www.bodyandsoul.com. “Nearly two thirds of people blame lack of sleep when they feel irritable, according to the QVC survey.
IKEA spokesman Angela McCann says: “It’s unsurprising only 1% of those asked in the Slumber Survey claim to feel fantastic when they wake up. The lack of sleep and the ensuing tiredness is likely impacting people’s judgment, problem-solving and creativity.”
4. According to the the European Society of Cardiology, a good night’s sleep increases the cardiovascular benefits of a healthy lifestyle.
5. The News In Health newsletter (http://newsinhealth.nih.gov/) says, “Loss of sleep impairs your higher levels of reasoning, problem-solving and attention to detail,” Dr. Merrill Mitler, a sleep expert and neuroscientist at NIH, explains. Tired people tend to be less productive at work. They’re at a much higher risk for traffic accidents. A sleep deficit over time can even put you at greater risk for developing depression.
North Solar Screen’s Blackout Roller Shades and Slumber Light Sealed Systems will darken a room for a more restful night’s sleep. And imagine what a relief it would be if you have trouble falling asleep.
“I’ve had a sleep disorder for years and I can’t thank you enough for the Blackout Shades I’ve installed in my bedroom. FINALLY, I’ve been getting an excellent night’s rest and am not “up with the sun” in the morning.!” says Pamela King of Mount Pleasant, SC.
And if you’re not sleep deprived? These light blocking shades are ideal for home theaters, examining rooms, light sensitive labs, anywhere you need to control your lighting environment. They also have the added energy saving benefit of providing excellent insulation by stopping hot and cold transfer through glass. And saving money on energy costs? Now that’s a restful night’s thought!