CITADEL Brawny™ High Wind Zipper Clear Vinyl Shades
Outdoor Clear Shades For Heavy Winds
The CITADEL brawny ™ Zipper Track with clear vinyl and solid borders is by far the strongest retractable extra -large shade against the elements. Made with 20 ml. marine grade double polished vinyl that blocks 90% of the UV, it is operable down to -20 degrees F without cracking. Add a safe heater and make yourself toasty warm outdoors. Custom manufactured to your specific dimensions. Crank operated or motorized.
Wind load up to 50 mph free standing
Identifying Wind Speed
20’ w x 10’ h (240″w x 120″h)
or 15′ w x 11′ h
Crank operated or motorized.
5 ½” Housing Box, 2 1/2″ side rails (Fabric Retention Tracks)
For smaller shades consider the CITADEL Classic™ Clear Vinyl
The Citadel High Wind Zipper Track ™ has replaced the Fortress Zipper Track ™. We will continue to offer the Fortress until 12/31/2020 and stock parts until the following year.
The CITADEL Brawny™ Zipper Track is the absolute strongest retractable shade system against the weather. This shade has been Completely re-engineered and it now boasts bigger, more rugged components that lock the zippered material more securely into the fabric retention tracks while providing more installation versatility.
Solid borders are sonically welded to clear vinyl panels. Industrial strength zippers are welded to the sides borders. The zippers lock securely into specialized fabric retention tracks so the wind can’t blow the shade out of them. The shade glides up and down easily and can be stopped in any position.
The Powerful Difference
- Larger, 3 ¼” diameter heavy walled rollers prevent sagging, spline runs full width of shade. Sealed ends prevent sliding.
- Thicker zippers, broader fabric retention bands and fabric retention tracks for better seal
- Wider fabric retention tracks (2 ½”) for better grab
- Funnel system feeds the shade from different angles
- Removable Snap Track cover simplifies installing into stone
- Extruded aluminum housing box has enhanced interlocking
- Enhanced metal weight bar integrates into track more cohesively
- Choice of brush piles ensure a flush fit to the ground: 1/2”, 1” or 2”
- All corrosion resistant metal components: powder coated aluminum, powder coated steel, stainless steel or galvanized in 8 matching colors
- Crank operated or radio control motors choice of side
- Motors have obstacle detection safety feature
- New: adjustable hembar closes up gaps on sloping patio floors. Fits shades up to 14′ wide
- One free hand brace per order
Clear Vinyl with Solid Borders
- Let the sun’s warmth penetrate, stay safe from the elements
- Operable down to -20 degrees F without cracking.
- Double polished to inhibit sticking
- Blocks 90% of UV
- Solid borders are durable, all weather Precontraint in 7 colors
Seal out the weather, wind, insects and critters from a covered patio, lanai, pergola, porch, gazebo, outdoor kitchen or other covered roof area. Perfect for waterfront homes where high winds and the elements might be an issue. Enjoy the full warmth of the sun without and add an extra season to your outdoor living.
Fire Rating For Solar Shade Fabrics
Self-Extinguishing (ANSI Z26 1, test 5.23) Strataglass is the only clear vinyl approved by the Ft. Lauderdale Fire Department as an acceptably safe enclosure material for use in semi- permanent porches and beachfront restaurants.
- Motors can be ordered on the right or left and plug into a grounded outlet
- Hardwiring requires installing a shut-off switch for each motor to disconnect each separately from power should you need to reprogram
- Motors are 120V and draw about 1.6 amps, operating temperature range is from 14 to 104 degrees F (-10 to 40 degrees C.)
- There is no manual override
- Order housing box to prevent water from shorting out the motor unless installing into water tight pocket
- Create a drip loop to prevent water from running down the cord into the motor head and shorting out the motor.
This is our standard outdoor motor, radio controlled with built in radio receiver. Best price point. Comes with a 8′ power cord ( 16′ or 32′ can be ordered)
- Handheld Smart Line Remotes: come as 1 channel or 5 channel
- Available in white only.
- The battery is CR2430. (5 channel remote has 5 separate channels plus an “all” channel.)
- 65 Foot range
- Wireless battery operated wall switch that avoids cutting into drywall.
- It does not require an electrician.
- Available as single channel or five channel. The 5 channel has five separate channels plus an “all” button.”
- Available in white only.
- The timer is a multifunction remote with 90 channels display and timer.
- You can program up to 6 groups of 15 channels each.
- It also has a clear plastic wall bracket.
- 3V Lithium Battery (CR2450)
- Remote range 65 feet
- Sensors automatically retract shades between 6-31 mph
- Sensors plug into a grounded outlet, set limit stops with any QX5 remote
- Requires the SOL one channel remote to turn sensor function on and off
- When winds higher than your setting is sensed for a duration of 2 minutes, the shades automatically retract. Once winds have lowered below your setting for 20 minutes, you can control the shade with your remote.
- Shades go down automatically 20 minutes after the wind stops, calculated from when the wind is reduced. If wind goes above your setting before the 20 minutes, it will require another 20 minutes before you or the sun sensor can lower the shade.
- Sensors can automatically retract shades between 6-31 mph
- Sensors plug into a grounded outlet
- Set limit stops with any QX5 remote
- Best to have one wind sensor for each direction shades are facing because wind comes at them differently
- When wind higher than your setting is sensed for a duration of 2 minutes, the shades will automatically retract. Once the wind speed has lowered to below your setting and has remained lower for 20 minutes, you will be able to control your shade with your remote.
- Control your motorized shades with your Android or iphone from anywhere or anytime.
- Group shades into rooms, and choose favorite, scenarios, and individual schedules.
- Use voice commands with Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa products.
- Connects to the home network and one or more XQ5 Radio controlled motors.
- Create as many rooms as you want and up to 6 favorite rooms managed from the app.
- Easy shade controls with UP, STOP, DOWN and PRESET buttons.
- Program the shade limits by the app. Motors sync with the app without using another transmitter.
- Program up to 10 scenarios. Each scenario can automate the ascent, descent and preset controls, with the ability to repeat any day of the week and set vacation modes
Somfy is more expensive than our standard XQ5 Motor. They can be reset from the remote (better for hard to reach shades). Comes with a 9’ power cord (24′ can be ordered)
Do not cut motor wires shorter than 36” as you will be cutting the antenna and seriously reducing the range of the remote
- One Channel for single shade
- Multi-Channel to operate up to 4 individually or as a group
- 16 channels to operate up to 15 individually or in a group;
- Available white, ivory, black
- Motors can be reset from the remote – important feature for very tall shades
- Battery-powered wireless wall switch
- Available as single or 5 channel
- In white or ivory.
- We recommend ordering the hand-held remote for easier programming of limit stops
- Power: 3V lithium battery, CR 2450 type
- Low voltage device, in most cases doesn’t require an electrical box
- If used with 1 shade, timer can be used to set limit stops
- Multiple shades require multi-channel remote to set limit stops
- Can be set to raise and lower shades once a day only
- If used in conjunction with wind sensor, wind sensor will lower and raise, use remote to lower after wind dies down
- Must order Soliris hand-held remote to set sun sensor and program limit stops (not wall mounted)
- Wind and Sun/Wind Sensors automatically retract shades between 6-31 mph
- Sensors plug into a grounded outlet, best to have one for each direction shades are facing as wind comes at them differently
- Shades will lower when wind higher than your setting is sensed for 2 minutes, or when enough light is sensed. It will retract when light dims because of nightfall, clouds, shadows trees etc
- If sun sensor has lowered shade but wind exceeds your setting the wind sensor will override the sun sensor and raise the shade
- Once wind is reduced to below your setting for 15 minutes with sun shining on the sensor, the shade will lower
- Passing clouds could possibly raise and lower shade many times a day with the wind sensor also raising it for wind
- You may disconnect the sun sensor and operate it manually, but you can’t disconnect the wind sensor as the shade will search for a signal from a disconnected wind sensor every hour and behave erratically
- Requires Soliris hand- held remote to set sun sensor which can also be used to program limit stops (wall mounted remotes can’t do it)
- These are solar powered so no need to plug in sensors
- Set rain sensor from condensation/fog to heavy rain; snow will also activate it
- Sun sensor raises shade when it senses enough light, or lower when senses not enough because of nightfall, clouds, shadows from trees, etc.
- If sun sensor has raised the shade but rain exceeds your setting, the rain sensor will override the sun sensor and lower the shade to care of showers.
- Once rain is reduced to below your setting for 2 minutes with the sun shining on the sensor, the shade will be raised again
- Passing clouds and shadows could raise and lower shade many times a day with rain sensor also lowering it for rain
- You can disconnect sun sensor and operate it with the remote, but you can’t disconnect the rain sensor as the shade will behave erratically searching for a signal from the disconnected rain sensor every 20 minutes
(App is free, but you buy the MyLink)
- Smart Phone app controls shades from afar but requires a security camera to know if shades are up or down
- Requires regular hand- held remote to set limit stops
- If used with a wind sensor shade can be lowered after 15 minutes of reduced wind, again need a security camera to show position of shade
- Has a built- in timer you can set for up to 5 raise and lowers per day
- If used with a wind sensor and shade was raised because of wind, shade can automatically lower at a preset time as long as the wind was not blowing at that time
CITADEL shades are wind rated at 50 mph. Shades must be mounted to the underside of a beam/ceiling or to the face of a beam/wall. They cannot be ‘end mounted’
- Rollers are heavy walled 3 ¼” diameter to prevent sagging. Fabric is secured to the roller with a sturdy keder that runs in a grove in the roller the the full width of the shade and is permanently affixed to the fabric so that it cannot slide.
- Side Rail System Larger industrial strength zippers and wider fabric retention bands lock the fabric more securely into 2 ½” fabric retention tracks. Zippers extend all the way to the bottom of the hem bar for a tighter fit. The improved funnel system feeds the fabric from multiple angles allowing more versatility. Snap Track Cover is removable (good if you are embedding into stone.)
- Housing Boxes to hide and protect the roll are corrosive resistant, powder coated, extruded aluminum. They’ve been equipped with a new interlock system for easier install. The CITADEL Brawny uses a 5 ½”” size housing box available in 8 colors .
- Weight Bar Powder coated aluminum colors match the side rails and housing. Fitted with a choice of standard pile brushes ½ ”,1” or 2” they create a weather seal that adheres the shade to the floor.. (When fully retracted, there will be about 2 1/2” of bottom slat and ¼” to 1 ½” of brush that will still hang below the housing.) 2” pile brush helps compensate for slanted floors. .
- Metal Components are made of corrosion resistant materials (powder coated aluminum, powder coated steel, stainless steel, or galvanized steel.).
- Hand brace: Each crank operated shade order comes with ONE free properly sized hand brace in choice of 3 colors. in heights of either 48″, 60″, 72″, 84″ or 96″ tall. Move the hand brace from shade to shade to operate them. Order extras for convenience.
- You will need to supply your own Torx Screws for mounting your shades.
For inside frame mount give us your opening dimensions. Measure the width at the top, middle and bottom. Always take the narrowest dimension. We will deduct 3/4″ to allow for fastening housings and “L” mounting channel thickness. Measure the height in three places. Always use longest measurement.
For outside flush/surface mount, also give us your opening dimensions. The sidetracks for the CITADEL Classic are each 2 ¼” wide. We will add 5” to your opening width to make up for any irregularities. The sidetracks for the CITADEL Brawny are each 2 ½” wide. We will add 6” to your opening width to make up for any irregularities. The height of the side rails will be from the top of your housing to how far down you want the shade to drop. The tracks will be several inches longer than needed to allow for any variances. You will need to cut the rails on site.
The shade mounts to the front face of your header beam on the interior or exterior of your structure
- Minimum clear height above opening is 5 1/2″
- Recommended clear height above opening is 8″ for shade to disappear from your line of vision
- We will add 6″ to your opening width for the side tracks. Each side track is 2 1/2″ wide. Please don’t take any deductions
- The header and columns of your structure must be completely flush, level and plumb with each other (any protrusions will need to be addressed).
The shade mounts from the top down inside the frame of your structure.
- Must have at least 5 1/2″ of depth that is flat, level and plumb (any trim, nail heads, bolts will need to be addressed)
- Side tracks will mount using L channel brackets.
- We deduct 3/4″ when mounting inside your opening so the shade will fit
- Any protrusions inside your opening such as bolts, nail heads or trim will need to be addressed
Housing Powder Coat Samples
For aluminum housing box that covers the roller. Motorized shades must have a housing box. The housing box protects the roller from animals and the elements.
Popular Shade & Housing Box Pairings
Some videos may show components that do not look exactly like the ones you will receive (for instance, the housing box is square shaped and does NOT have brushes) but the procedure being demonstrated is correct. The clip that shows the programming of the remote actually has a Grande shade in the background, which is why you can detect a gap beside the fabric. Your Citadel shade will be sealed in the rails.Note that programming instructions on the videos are for Somfy motors. If you have the XQ5 motor, please refer to the pdf instructions for how to program.
Drawings/Specs Schematics (Tech Information PDFs)