Baby Grande Blackout Shades
Heavy Duty Outdoor Blackout Shades
Baby Grande Blackout Shades are made with the same heavy duty construction as the Grande shades but because they are designed for smaller areas they are less expensive. By preventing any detectable transmission of visible light, infrared or UV rays these high performance crank operated or motorized shades can also substantially reduce energy costs.
Maximum wind load up to 35 MPH.
Identifying Wind Speed
14′ w x 10’h (168″w x 120″h)
Manual or motorized.
Upgrade to Grande Blackout for wider or taller shades.
Create total privacy and complete darkness any time of day. Outdoor shades don’t disturb the interior window décor. Constructed from high tenacity polyester yarn, these shades are highly resistant to weather and can withstand temperatures ranging from -86ºF to 158ºF. The quality of polymers used in the manufacture of these materials ensures high color-fastness. Dirt does not stick to them due to their smooth and even surface structure. And Soltis will not stretch or lose its shape under heavy loads. Soltis material comes 67″ wide. Any shade larger than 67″ wide x 64″ high will need to be seamed with sonic welding. For crank operated shades, one hand brace provided PER ORDER. Flammability: Flame Retardant
- Motors can be ordered on the right or left and plug into a grounded outlet
- Hardwiring requires installing a shut-off switch for each motor to disconnect each separately from power should you need to reprogram
- Motors are 120V and draw about 1.6 amps, operating temperature range is from 14 to 104 degrees F (-10 to 40 degrees C.)
- There is no manual override
- Order housing box to prevent water from shorting out the motor unless installing into water tight pocket
- Create a drip loop to prevent water from running down the cord into the motor head and shorting out the motor.
This is our standard outdoor motor, radio controlled with built in radio receiver. Best price point. Comes with a 8′ power cord ( 16′ or 32′ can be ordered)
- Handheld Smart Line Remotes: come as 1 channel or 5 channel
- Available in white only.
- The battery is CR2430. (5 channel remote has 5 separate channels plus an “all” channel.)
- 65 Foot range
- Wireless battery operated wall switch that avoids cutting into drywall.
- It does not require an electrician.
- Available as single channel or five channel. The 5 channel has five separate channels plus an “all” button.”
- Available in white only.
- The timer is a multifunction remote with 90 channels display and timer.
- You can program up to 6 groups of 15 channels each.
- It also has a clear plastic wall bracket.
- 3V Lithium Battery (CR2450)
- Remote range 65 feet
- Sensors automatically retract shades between 6-31 mph
- Sensors plug into a grounded outlet, set limit stops with any QX5 remote
- Requires the SOL one channel remote to turn sensor function on and off
- When winds higher than your setting is sensed for a duration of 2 minutes, the shades automatically retract. Once winds have lowered below your setting for 20 minutes, you can control the shade with your remote.
- Shades go down automatically 20 minutes after the wind stops, calculated from when the wind is reduced. If wind goes above your setting before the 20 minutes, it will require another 20 minutes before you or the sun sensor can lower the shade.
- Sensors can automatically retract shades between 6-31 mph
- Sensors plug into a grounded outlet
- Set limit stops with any QX5 remote
- Best to have one wind sensor for each direction shades are facing because wind comes at them differently
- When wind higher than your setting is sensed for a duration of 2 minutes, the shades will automatically retract. Once the wind speed has lowered to below your setting and has remained lower for 20 minutes, you will be able to control your shade with your remote.
- Control your motorized shades with your Android or iphone from anywhere or anytime.
- Group shades into rooms, and choose favorite, scenarios, and individual schedules.
- Use voice commands with Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa products.
- Connects to the home network and one or more XQ5 Radio controlled motors.
- Create as many rooms as you want and up to 6 favorite rooms managed from the app.
- Easy shade controls with UP, STOP, DOWN and PRESET buttons.
- Program the shade limits by the app. Motors sync with the app without using another transmitter.
- Program up to 10 scenarios. Each scenario can automate the ascent, descent and preset controls, with the ability to repeat any day of the week and set vacation modes
Somfy is more expensive than our standard XQ5 Motor. They can be reset from the remote (better for hard to reach shades). Comes with a 9’ power cord (24′ can be ordered)
Do not cut motor wires shorter than 36” as you will be cutting the antenna and seriously reducing the range of the remote
- One Channel for single shade
- Multi-Channel to operate up to 4 individually or as a group
- 16 channels to operate up to 15 individually or in a group;
- Available white, ivory, black
- Motors can be reset from the remote – important feature for very tall shades
- Battery-powered wireless wall switch
- Available as single or 5 channel
- In white or ivory.
- We recommend ordering the hand-held remote for easier programming of limit stops
- Power: 3V lithium battery, CR 2450 type
- Low voltage device, in most cases doesn’t require an electrical box
- If used with 1 shade, timer can be used to set limit stops
- Multiple shades require multi-channel remote to set limit stops
- Can be set to raise and lower shades once a day only
- If used in conjunction with wind sensor, wind sensor will lower and raise, use remote to lower after wind dies down
- Must order Soliris hand-held remote to set sun sensor and program limit stops (not wall mounted)
- Wind and Sun/Wind Sensors automatically retract shades between 6-31 mph
- Sensors plug into a grounded outlet, best to have one for each direction shades are facing as wind comes at them differently
- Shades will lower when wind higher than your setting is sensed for 2 minutes, or when enough light is sensed. It will retract when light dims because of nightfall, clouds, shadows trees etc
- If sun sensor has lowered shade but wind exceeds your setting the wind sensor will override the sun sensor and raise the shade
- Once wind is reduced to below your setting for 15 minutes with sun shining on the sensor, the shade will lower
- Passing clouds could possibly raise and lower shade many times a day with the wind sensor also raising it for wind
- You may disconnect the sun sensor and operate it manually, but you can’t disconnect the wind sensor as the shade will search for a signal from a disconnected wind sensor every hour and behave erratically
- Requires Soliris hand- held remote to set sun sensor which can also be used to program limit stops (wall mounted remotes can’t do it)
- These are solar powered so no need to plug in sensors
- Set rain sensor from condensation/fog to heavy rain; snow will also activate it
- Sun sensor raises shade when it senses enough light, or lower when senses not enough because of nightfall, clouds, shadows from trees, etc.
- If sun sensor has raised the shade but rain exceeds your setting, the rain sensor will override the sun sensor and lower the shade to care of showers.
- Once rain is reduced to below your setting for 2 minutes with the sun shining on the sensor, the shade will be raised again
- Passing clouds and shadows could raise and lower shade many times a day with rain sensor also lowering it for rain
- You can disconnect sun sensor and operate it with the remote, but you can’t disconnect the rain sensor as the shade will behave erratically searching for a signal from the disconnected rain sensor every 20 minutes
(App is free, but you buy the MyLink)
- Smart Phone app controls shades from afar but requires a security camera to know if shades are up or down
- Requires regular hand- held remote to set limit stops
- If used with a wind sensor shade can be lowered after 15 minutes of reduced wind, again need a security camera to show position of shade
- Has a built- in timer you can set for up to 5 raise and lowers per day
- If used with a wind sensor and shade was raised because of wind, shade can automatically lower at a preset time as long as the wind was not blowing at that time
Housing Box (optional but recommended): Powder coated extruded aluminum housings available in 8 colors: white, gray, ivory, light beige, dark beige, sand, bronze and black. To hide and protect the roller (especially when motorizing.)
Low Profile Adjuster (Standard equipment.) Securely attached to the bracket or housing box, this low profile hardware tensions the stainless steel aircraft cables.
The blackout material is a dual colored shade fabric, one side will be your color choice and the other side is gray.
Cable Guided System: This holds the shade in place without the need for tie down loops and is the preferred method of securing the shade in the wind. Cables come 2′ longer than the shade height you order. Let us know If you need them longer.
Wall Mount Cable Bracket: Use if you need to mount the cable to the wall or post. Allows the shade to come down within 1 ¾” from the floor. Bracket protrudes 1″ from the mounting point, and holds cable 3/4″ from the mounting point.
Floor Mounted Cable Bracket: Simplex Cable Fastener: Shade can be lowered to about 2 ½” from the floor. Mount into stone, concrete, or wood with supplied cable anchor. Cut cables to fit on site and secure to tie wire drive or eye bolt with the Simplex Cable Fastener
Crank Brackets: 'Exposed Roll' shades (with no housing) mount on sturdy brackets. Hardware is available inWhite, Dark Brown, or Desert Sand. Choice of crank gear side.
An outdoor shade should be retracted in windy conditions. (More than 35 mph.) Shades must be mounted to the underside of a beam/ceiling or to the face of a beam/wall, and cannot be ‘end mounted.’
- Rollers: Are 2 3/4″ in diameter to prevent sagging of shades even 14′ wide.
- Splines: Fabric is secured to the roller with a sturdy spline that runs the full width of the shade and is permanently affixed to the fabric so that it cannot slide out.
- Fabric Cutbacks: The shade material will be cut narrower than the roller: Exposed Roller-Crank, Housing Box-Crank, Housing Box-Motorized & Exposed Roller-Motorized (only for shades completely protected from weather).
- Components: Are all made of materials that are corrosion resistant (powder coated aluminum, powder coated steel, stainless steel, or galvanized steel.)
- Weight bar Polished marine grade stainless steel tubing 7/8” diameter with internal steel rod for extra weight. Hardened steel eyelets run up and down the stainless steel aircraft cable. This holds the shade in place without the need for tie down loops and is the preferred method of securing the shade in the wind. Cables come 2′ longer than the shade height you order. Let us know If you need them longer. Cable system should be mounted to the concrete floor with provided cable anchors.
- Cable Guide System
- Low Profile Adjuster (Standard equipment.) Securely attached to the bracket or housing box, this low profile hardware tensions the stainless steel aircraft cables. Shade can be lowered to about 2 ½” from the floor. Swivel eyelets to reduce wear on cables and to allow cables to be mounted at a slight angle. Mount into stone, concrete, or wood with supplied cable anchor. When fully retracted, there will be 2” of shade fabric/weight bar that will still hang below the housing or bracket.) Cut cables to fit on site and secure to tie wire drive or eye bolt with the Simplex Cable Fastener
- Wall Mount Cable Bracket Use if you need to mount the cable to the wall or post. Allows the shade to come down within 1 ¾” from the floor. Bracket protrudes 1″ from the mounting point, holds cable 3/4″ from the mounting point and is 2″ tall. Powder coated to match your housing box or shade brackets.
- Housings: Powder coated extruded aluminum housings available in 8 colors To hide and protect the roll (especially when motorizing.) 4 1/2″ x 4 1/2″
- Crank Brackets: ‘Exposed Roll’ shades (with no housing) mount on sturdy brackets. Hardware is available in White, Dark Brown, or Desert Sand. Choice of crank gear side. Foot print of bracket is 2 ½” x 4”. Shade bracket protrudes out from wall approximately 4”.
- Hand Brace: Each crank operated shade ORDER comes with ONE free properly sized hand brace. Move the hand brace from shade to shade to operate them. Comes in your choice of 3 colors. Available in 48″, 60″, 72″, 84″ and 96″ long, you may order extras for convenience.
- You will need to supply your own Torx Screws for mounting your shades.
Overlapping Openings: When mounting to the exterior side of a structure, we do not advise overlapping, especially against a rough surface. The wind can blow the shade up against it and eventually cause damage. If you want to overlap the opening it’s better to mount to the interior facing side so the force of the wind blows the shade inward. Still be cautious of rough surfaces.
- Use a steel tape measure – Do not use cloth
- Measure to the nearest 1/8” – Never round up
- Always give width before height – Measure in inches
- Give us raw dimensions. Do not take your own deductions
- If adjoining shades meet at a corner, let us know as one or both may need to be cut narrower to ensure they don’t conflict
Always feel free to call us for help and email us photos of where you want to install.
Measure Width (inches): Measure width at the top, middle and bottom. Give the narrowest dimension especially between any protruding trim, bolts etc
Measure Height (inches): Measure height from the top face or underside of the header beam to where you want the shade to drop.
For Crank operated shades we will also need to know the height from the ground to properly size a hand brace
The shade mounts to the surface or face above your opening on the interior or exterior of your structure
Minimum Height Required: 4 1/2” above opening*
*Recommended Clear Height Above Opening: 7” to allow shade to disappear from your line of vision. Any protrusions such as bolts, trim will need to be addressed so shade hangs straight, level and plumb.
The shade mounts from the top down inside the frame of your structure.
Minimum Depth Required: 4 1/2″. Must be flat, level and have no protrusions (trim or bolts) within your opening frame.
The housing box and bottom bar will be in your line of vision when shade is rolled up. Housing box is 4 1/2″ tall and bottom bar hangs down 2″ (see diagram below).
The bottom bar hangs below the housing box 2″ when shade is rolled all the way up
Baby Grande Shades ™ use a sturdy cable guide system that allow the shade to be positioned at any desired height without the need for tie downs. These cables keep the shades wind worthy in gusts up to 35 mph.
Cables run plumb from the top of the shade to the bottom mount.
Floor mounted stainless steel cables come standard with your order, or you can upgrade to wall mounted cables.
Housing Powder Coat Samples
For aluminum housing box that covers the roller. Motorized shades must have a housing box. The housing box protects the roller from animals and the elements.
Popular Shade & Housing Box Pairings