CITADEL Classic™ High Wind
Zipper Track Blackout Shades
Outdoor Shades For Heavy Winds
The CITADEL Classic™ Zipper Track with blackout fabrics is by far the strongest retractable shade available against the elements. Fully encloses your outdoor covered spaces for day and night time privacy. Durable Soltis blackout fabric can support temperatures ranging from -86ºF to 158ºF.
This shade withstands winds up to 50 mph.
Identifying Wind Speed
14’w x 10’t (168w” x 120t”)
Minimum width 60″
4 ½” housing box, 2 1/4” wide Side Rails (Fabric Retention Tracks)
Crank operated or motorized
For larger shades upgrade to CITADEL Brawny™ blackout shades
The Citadel High Wind Zipper Track ™ is replacing the Fortress Zipper Track ™. We will continue to offer the Fortress until 12/31/2020 and continue to stock parts for the following year.
If you need a strongly built blackout shade with sealed protection that can take on high winds, the elements, heat and cold, The CITADEL Classic™ High Wind Zipper Track retractable system provides the strongest possible seal. Our rugged outdoor blackout shade material provides both day and nighttime privacy. It fully encloses covered roof areas against the wind, weather, insects, critters, dirt and pollen.
Custom manufactured up to 14’ wide, its advanced design and more robust components truly set the standard of excellence in fabric retention systems.
How Does it Work?
An extruded aluminum housing box at the top houses and protects the roller. Industrial strength zippers are securely welded to the sides of the fabric. As the shade is lowered, the zippers lock into sturdy fabric retention tracks that prevent the wind from blowing the shade out of them. The shade glides up and down easily and can be stopped in any position.
CITADEL ™ Soltis Blackout Fabrics
- Keep interiors noticeably cooler, block UV
- Complete darkness and privacy day or night
- Can support temperature ranges from -86ºF to 158ºF.
- High tenacity weather resistant polyester
- Will not stretch under heavy loads
- Colorfast, dirt resistant, dual colored
- Shade larger than 67”w x 64”h will be seamed with sonic welding
The CITADEL Powerful Difference
- Larger 2 3/4” diameter heavy walled rollers prevent sagging, spline runs full width of shade
- Broader 2 1/4” w x 1 ½” thick fabric retention tracks house thicker zippers and wider fabric retention bands provide the most robust seal
- Zippers run full height of shade for an uninterrupted bond
- Advanced funnel system guides fabrics smoothly into tracks as diameter of roller changes
- New interlocking system on housing box simplifies installation
- Contoured metal weight bar integrates into track more cohesively to complete solid seal
- New interlocking system on extruded aluminum housing box simplifies installation
- Removable Snap cover on retention track eases installation into stone
- Choice of brush piles ensure a flush fit to the ground: 1/2”, 1” or 2”
- Metal components are all corrosion resistant: powder coated aluminum, powder coated steel, stainless steel or galvanized, available in 8 matching colors
- Motors are equipped with obstacle detection safety feature
- One properly sized free hand brace per order
Perfect for waterfront homes where high winds and the elements might be an issue.
Regularly hose down side tracks to make sure they are clear of dirt and debris before lifting or lowering the shade, or it will not function correctly. Not doing so will void the warranty.
Fire Rating: (Flame Retardant) 1/ NFPA 701 • CSFM T19 • Class A/ ASTM E84
- Motors can be ordered on the right or left and plug into a grounded outlet
- Hardwiring requires installing a shut-off switch for each motor to disconnect each separately from power should you need to reprogram
- Motors are 120V and draw about 1.6 amps, operating temperature range is from 14 to 140 degrees F (-10 to 60 degrees C.)
- There is no manual override
- Order housing box to prevent water from shorting out the motor unless installing into water tight pocket
- Create a drip loop to prevent water from running down the cord into the motor head and shorting out the motor.
The XQ5 motor is our standard outdoor shade motor. These are radio controlled with built in radio receiver. Best price point. If you need to reset the motor you will have to press a button on the motor head itself, so it’s not recommended for hard to reach areas.
Comes standard with an 8′ power cord (16′ or 32′ can be ordered). The power cord and plug come separate so you can cut to the appropriate length. The XQ5 motor doesn’t have an antenna in the cord, so the cord can be cut as short as needed. The antenna is the small white wire on the motor.
- Handheld Smart Line Remotes: come as 1 channel or 5 channel
- Available in white only.
- The battery is CR2430. (5 channel remote has 5 separate channels plus an “all” channel.)
- 65 Foot range
- Wireless battery operated wall switch that avoids cutting into drywall.
- It does not require an electrician.
- Available as single channel or five channel. The 5 channel has five separate channels plus an “all” button.”
- Available in white only.
- The timer is a multifunction remote with 90 channels display and timer.
- You can program up to 6 groups of 15 channels each.
- It also has a clear plastic wall bracket.
- 3V Lithium Battery (CR2450)
- Remote range 65 feet
- Sensors automatically retract shades between 6-31 mph
- Sensors plug into a grounded outlet, set limit stops with any XQ5 remote
- Requires the SOL one channel remote to turn sensor function on and off
- When winds higher than your setting is sensed for a duration of 2 minutes, the shades automatically retract. Once winds have lowered below your setting for 20 minutes, you can control the shade with your remote.
- Shades go down automatically 20 minutes after the wind stops, calculated from when the wind is reduced. If wind goes above your setting before the 20 minutes, it will require another 20 minutes before you or the sun sensor can lower the shade.
- Sensors can automatically retract shades between 6-31 mph
- Sensors plug into a grounded outlet
- Cord length is 96″
- Set limit stops with any XQ5 remote
- Best to have one wind sensor for each direction shades are facing because wind comes at them differently
- When wind higher than your setting is sensed for a duration of 2 minutes, the shades will automatically retract. Once the wind speed has lowered to below your setting and has remained lower for 20 minutes, you will be able to control your shade with your remote.
- Not recommended for metal areas like fully steel or aluminum pergolas with metal slat roof or metalized glass panels that radiate excessive heat.
- Control your motorized shades with your Android or iphone from anywhere or anytime.
- Group shades into rooms, and choose favorite, scenarios, and individual schedules.
- Use voice commands with Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa products.
- Connects to the home network and one or more XQ5 Radio controlled motors.
- Create as many rooms as you want and up to 6 favorite rooms managed from the app.
- Easy shade controls with UP, STOP, DOWN and PRESET buttons.
- Program the shade limits by the app. Motors sync with the app without using another transmitter.
- Program up to 10 scenarios. Each scenario can automate the ascent, descent and preset controls, with the ability to repeat any day of the week and set vacation modes
Somfy is our upgraded motor, and is more expensive than our standard XQ5 Motor. Somfy motors can be reset from the remote, so it’s a better fit for hard to reach shades & second story applications. With the Somfy myLink™ shade motors can pair with a wide range of home automation systems.
Comes standard with a 9’ power cord (24′ can be ordered). Power cords and plugs come separate so you can cut to the appropriate length. Do not cut motor wires shorter than 42” as you will be cutting the antenna and seriously reducing the range of the remote.
- One Channel for single shade
- Multi-Channel to operate up to 4 individually or as a group
- 16 channels to operate up to 15 individually or in a group;
- Available white, ivory, black
- Motors can be reset from the remote – important feature for very tall shades
- Battery-powered wireless wall switch
- Available as single or 5 channel
- In white or ivory.
- We recommend ordering the hand-held remote for easier programming of limit stops
- Power: 3V lithium battery, CR 2450 type
- Low voltage device, in most cases doesn’t require an electrical box
- If used with 1 shade, timer can be used to set limit stops
- Multiple shades require multi-channel remote to set limit stops
- Can be set to raise and lower shades once a day only
- If used in conjunction with wind sensor, wind sensor will lower and raise, use remote to lower after wind dies down
- Must order Soliris hand-held remote to set sun sensor and program limit stops (not wall mounted)
- Wind and Sun/Wind Sensors automatically retract shades between 6-31 mph
- Sensors plug into a grounded outlet, best to have one for each direction shades are facing as wind comes at them differently
- Shades will lower when wind higher than your setting is sensed for 2 minutes, or when enough light is sensed. It will retract when light dims because of nightfall, clouds, shadows trees etc
- If sun sensor has lowered shade but wind exceeds your setting the wind sensor will override the sun sensor and raise the shade
- Once wind is reduced to below your setting for 15 minutes with sun shining on the sensor, the shade will lower
- Passing clouds could possibly raise and lower shade many times a day with the wind sensor also raising it for wind
- You may disconnect the sun sensor and operate it manually, but you can’t disconnect the wind sensor as the shade will search for a signal from a disconnected wind sensor every hour and behave erratically
- Requires Soliris hand- held remote to set sun sensor which can also be used to program limit stops (wall mounted remotes can’t do it)
- These are solar powered so no need to plug in sensors
- Set rain sensor from condensation/fog to heavy rain; snow will also activate it
- Sun sensor raises shade when it senses enough light, or lower when senses not enough because of nightfall, clouds, shadows from trees, etc.
- If sun sensor has raised the shade but rain exceeds your setting, the rain sensor will override the sun sensor and lower the shade to care of showers.
- Once rain is reduced to below your setting for 2 minutes with the sun shining on the sensor, the shade will be raised again
- Passing clouds and shadows could raise and lower shade many times a day with rain sensor also lowering it for rain
- You can disconnect sun sensor and operate it with the remote, but you can’t disconnect the rain sensor as the shade will behave erratically searching for a signal from the disconnected rain sensor every 20 minutes
(App is free, but you must purchase the TaHoma™ transmitter)
- Turn your smartphone or tablet into a remote control for motorized shades with the Somfy TaHoma™ using WiFi (requires a security camera to know if shades are up or down)
- Operate your shades with the free TaHoma™ North America App while home or away, or integrate with third-party systems. Compatible with IOS 11.0+ and Android 7.0+
- Works with with Amazon Alexa, IFTTT, Phillips Hue, Samsung SmartThings, and Google Assistant – allowing for natural voice commands to control the shades
- Compatible with most third-party systems such as Control4®, Crestron, Savant, Elan, RTI, URC, and Brilliant
- Maintains motor/device settings even during a power failure
- Requires regular radio hand-held remote for initial programming and to set limit stops
- Must be within range of 25-35ft from shade; Somfy recommends at least one TaHoma™ interface per room or zone, and up to 10 gateways in one home to increase the range
- TaHoma’s performance is directly related to health and reliability of the WiFi network
- Create scenes by grouping multiple channels together; create schedules by setting one or more scenes on a timer. Create up to 40 scenes and schedules to automatically operate multiple shades
- If used with a wind sensor shade can be lowered after 15 minutes of reduced wind (requires a security camera to show position of shade)
- If used with a wind sensor and shade was raised because of wind, shade can automatically lower at a preset time as long as the wind was not blowing at that time
CITADEL shades are wind rated at 50 mph. Shades must be mounted to the underside of a beam/ceiling or to the face of a beam/wall. They cannot be ‘end mounted’
- Rollers are heavy walled 2 ¾” diameter to prevent sagging. Fabric is secured to the roller with a sturdy keder that runs in a grove in the roller the full width of the shade and is permanently affixed to the fabric so that it cannot slide out.
- Blackout material is a dual colored fabric which means the reverse side is always gray.
- Side Rail Systems Larger industrial strength zippers and wider fabric retention bands lock the fabric more securely into 2 ¼” x 1 ½” thick side rails. Zippers extend all the way to the bottom of the hem bar for a tighter fit. The improved funnel system feeds the fabric from multiple angles allowing more versatility. L Channel Brackets are used for installing fabric retention tracks between columns. Snap Track Cover is removable (good if you are embedding into stone.)
- Housing Boxes to hide and protect the roll are corrosive resistant, powder coated, extruded aluminum. They’ve been equipped with a new interlock system for easier install. The CITADEL Classic uses a 4 ½” size housing box available in 8 colors .
- Weight Bar Powder coated aluminum colors match the side rails and housing. Fitted with a choice of standard pile brushes ½ ”,1” or 2” they create a weather seal that adheres the shade to the floor.. (When fully retracted, there will be about 2” of bottom slat and ¼” to 1 ½” of brush that will still hang below the housing.) 2” pile brush helps compensate for slanted floors. .
- Metal Components are made of corrosion resistant materials (powder coated aluminum, powder coated steel, stainless steel, or galvanized steel. If you are close to the sea “with salt air smog” where you can actually taste the salt air, spray off all metal parts as you would ocean going boats, even the stainless-steel ones.
- Hand brace: Each crank operated shade order comes with ONE free properly sized hand brace in choice of 3 colors. in heights of either 48″, 60″, 72″, 84″ or 96″ tall. Move the hand brace from shade to shade to operate them. Order extras for convenience.
- You will need to supply your own Torx Screws for mounting your shades.
For inside frame mount give us your opening dimensions. Measure the width at the top, middle and bottom. The opening should have no more than 1 ½” difference between widest and narrowest dimension. Always take the narrowest dimension. We will deduct 3/4″ to allow for fastening housings and “L” mounting channel thickness. Measure the height in three places. Always use longest measurement.
For outside flush/surface mount, also give us your opening dimensions. The sidetracks for the CITADEL Classic are each 2 ¼” wide. We will add 5” to your opening width to make up for any irregularities. The sidetracks for the CITADEL Brawny are each 2 ½” wide. We will add 6” to your opening width to make up for any irregularities. The height of the side rails will be from the top of your housing to how far down you want the shade to drop. The tracks will be several inches longer than needed to allow for any variances. You will need to cut the rails on site.
The shade mounts to the front face of your header beam on the interior or exterior of your structure
- Minimum clear height above opening is 4 1/2″
- Recommended clear height above opening is 7″ for shade to disappear from your line of vision
- We will add 5″ to your opening width for the side tracks. Each side track is 2 1/4″ wide. Please don’t take any deductions
- The header and columns of your structure must be completely flush, level and plumb with each other (any protrusions will need to be addressed).
The shade mounts from the top down inside the frame of your structure.
- Must have at least 4 1/2″ of depth that is flat, level and plumb (any trim, nail heads, bolts will need to be addressed)
- Side tracks will mount using L channel brackets.
- We deduct 3/4″ when mounting inside your opening so the shade will fit
- Any protrusions inside your opening such as bolts, nail heads or trim will need to be addressed
**Blackout shades CANNOT be mounted CLOSER THAN 2 FEET from a heat source**
Citadel Blackout Samples
Click on a swatch color to enlarge then select add to cart below
Soltis material comes 67″ wide. Any shade larger than 67″ wide and also taller than x 65″ high will require a horizontal sonically welded seam approximately ½” tall. View Seam Example
Housing Box & Side Rails Powder Coat Samples
The aluminum housing box covers and protects the roller. Motorized shades must have a housing box. The housing box keeps the shade fresher for long lasting use.
Recommended Fabric & Housing Box Colors
Please print or download for your needs. Instructions no longer included in packaging.