Baby Grande Blackout Shades
Heavy Duty Outdoor Blackout Shades
Baby Grande Blackout Shades are made with the same heavy duty construction as the Grande shades but because they are designed for smaller areas they are less expensive. By preventing any detectable transmission of visible light, infrared or UV rays these high performance crank operated or motorized shades can also substantially reduce energy costs.
Crank Operated or Motorized
Withstands winds up to 35 MPH
Identifying Wind Speed
14′ w x 10’h (168″w x 120″h)
Upgrade to Grande Blackout for wider or taller shades.
Create total privacy and complete darkness any time of day. Outdoor shades don’t disturb the interior window décor. Constructed from high tenacity polyester yarn, these shades are highly resistant to weather and can withstand temperatures ranging from -86ºF to 158ºF. The quality of polymers used in the manufacture of these materials ensures high color-fastness. Dirt does not stick to them due to their smooth and even surface structure. And Soltis will not stretch or lose its shape under heavy loads. Soltis material comes 67″ wide. Any shade larger than 67″ wide x 64″ high will need to be seamed with sonic welding. For crank operated shades, one hand brace provided PER ORDER. Flammability: Flame Retardant
Cleaning & Care
WarrantyPackaging & Shipping
- Factory programs the remote to operate each shade. They do not set the top and bottom limit stops
- Motors can be ordered on the right or left and plug into a grounded outlet
- Hardwiring requires installing a shut-off switch for each motor to disconnect each separately from power should you need to reprogram
- Motors are 120V and draw about 1.6 amps, operating temperature range is from 14 to 140 degrees F (-10 to 60 degrees C.)
- There is no manual override
- Order housing box to prevent water from shorting out the motor unless installing into water tight pocket
- Create a drip loop to prevent water from running down the cord into the motor head and shorting out the motor.
The XQ5 premium motor is our standard outdoor shade motor. These are radio controlled with built in radio receiver. Best price point. If you need to reset the motor you will have to press a button on the motor head itself, so it’s not recommended for hard to reach areas.
Comes standard with an 8′ power cord (16′ or 32′ can be ordered). The power cord & plug come separate to cut to the appropriate length. XQ5 motor doesn’t have an antenna in the cord, so the cord can be cut as short as needed. It’s not recommended to put motors any closer together than 19″, instead place them on opposite ends.
- Handheld Smart Line Remotes: Come as 1 channel or 5 channel
- Available in white only.
- 5 channel remote has 5 separate channels plus an “all” button and you can program up to 8 groups
- Comes with wall mounted bracket with magnetic hold
- 3V Lithium Battery (CR2430)
- 65 Foot range
- Wireless battery operated wall switch that avoids cutting into drywall.
- It does not require an electrician.
- Available as single channel or five channel. The 5 channel remote has 5 separate channels plus an “all” button and you can program up to 8 groups
- 3V Lithium Battery (CR2430)
- Available in white only.
- The timer is a multifunction remote with 16 channels display and timer.
- You can program up to 8 groups.
- It also has a clear plastic wall bracket.
- 3V Lithium Battery (CR2450)
- Remote range 65 feet
- Sensors automatically retract shades between 6-31 mph
- Sensors plug into a grounded outlet, set limit stops with any XQ5 remote
- Locate sensor at least 24” away from the motor and up to 30’ away
- Requires the SOL one channel remote to turn sensor function on and off
- When winds higher than your setting is sensed for a duration of 2 minutes, the shades automatically retract. Once winds have lowered below your setting for 20 minutes, you can control the shade with your remote.
- Shades go down automatically 20 minutes after the wind stops, calculated from when the wind is reduced. If wind goes above your setting before the 20 minutes, it will require another 20 minutes before you or the sun sensor can lower the shade.
- Sensors can automatically retract shades between 6-31 mph
- Sensors plug into a grounded outlet
- Locate sensor at least 24” away from the motor and up to 30’ away
- Cord length is 96″
- Set limit stops with any XQ5 remote
- Best to have one wind sensor for each direction shades are facing because wind comes at them differently
- When wind higher than your setting is sensed for a duration of 2 minutes, the shades will automatically retract. Once the wind speed has lowered to below your setting and has remained lower for 20 minutes, you will be able to control your shade with your remote.
- Not recommended for metal areas like fully steel or aluminum pergolas with metal slat roof or metalized glass panels that radiate excessive heat.
- Control your motorized shades with your Android or iphone from anywhere or anytime.
- RollApp only works with Google Home and Amazon Alexa.
- Group shades into rooms, and choose favorite, scenarios, and individual schedules.
- Use voice commands with Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa products.
- Connects to the home network and one or more XQ5 Radio controlled motors.
- Create as many rooms as you want and up to 6 favorite rooms managed from the app.
- Easy shade controls with UP, STOP, DOWN and PRESET buttons.
- Program the shade limits by the app. Motors sync with the app without using another transmitter.
- Program up to 10 scenarios. Each scenario can automate the ascent, descent and preset controls, with the ability to repeat any day of the week and set vacation modes
Somfy is our upgraded motor, and is more expensive than our standard XQ5 Motor. Somfy motors can be reset from the remote, so it’s a better fit for hard to reach shades & second story applications. With the Somfy TaHoma™ shade motors can pair with a wide range of home automation systems.
Comes standard with a 9’ power cord (24′ can be ordered). Power cords & plugs come separate to cut to the appropriate length. Do not cut motor wires shorter than 18” as you will cut the antenna and seriously reduce the range of the remote. Motors can be butted up to share an outlet.
- One Channel for single shade
- Multi-Channel to operate up to 4 individually or as a group
- 16 channels to operate up to 15 individually or in a group;
- Available in white only
- Motors can be reset from the remote – important feature for very tall shades
- Battery-powered wireless wall switch
- Available as single or 5 channel
- In white or ivory.
- We recommend ordering the hand-held remote for easier programming of limit stops
- Power: 3V lithium battery, CR 2450 type
- Low voltage device, in most cases doesn’t require an electrical box
- If used with 1 shade, timer can be used to set limit stops
- Multiple shades require multi-channel remote to set limit stops
- Can be set to raise and lower shades once a day only
- If used in conjunction with wind sensor, wind sensor will lower and raise, use remote to lower after wind dies down
- Must order Soliris hand-held remote to set sun sensor and program limit stops (not wall mounted)
- Wind and Sun/Wind Sensors automatically retract shades between 6-31 mph
- Sensors plug into a grounded outlet, best to have one for each direction shades are facing as wind comes at them differently
- Locate sensor at least 24” away from the motor and up to 30’ away
- Shades will lower when wind higher than your setting is sensed for 2 minutes, or when enough light is sensed. It will retract when light dims because of nightfall, clouds, shadows trees etc
- If sun sensor has lowered shade but wind exceeds your setting the wind sensor will override the sun sensor and raise the shade
- Once wind is reduced to below your setting for 15 minutes with sun shining on the sensor, the shade will lower
- Passing clouds could possibly raise and lower shade many times a day with the wind sensor also raising it for wind
- You may disconnect the sun sensor and operate it manually, but you can’t disconnect the wind sensor as the shade will search for a signal from a disconnected wind sensor every hour and behave erratically
- Requires Soliris hand- held remote to set sun sensor which can also be used to program limit stops (wall mounted remotes can’t do it)
- These are solar powered so no need to plug in sensors
- Set rain sensor from condensation/fog to heavy rain; snow will also activate it
- Sun sensor raises shade when it senses enough light, or lower when senses not enough because of nightfall, clouds, shadows from trees, etc.
- If sun sensor has raised the shade but rain exceeds your setting, the rain sensor will override the sun sensor and lower the shade to care of showers.
- Once rain is reduced to below your setting for 2 minutes with the sun shining on the sensor, the shade will be raised again
- Passing clouds and shadows could raise and lower shade many times a day with rain sensor also lowering it for rain
- You can disconnect sun sensor and operate it with the remote, but you can’t disconnect the rain sensor as the shade will behave erratically searching for a signal from the disconnected rain sensor every 20 minutes
(App is free, but you must purchase the TaHoma™ transmitter)
- Turn your smartphone or tablet into a remote control for motorized shades with the Somfy TaHoma™ using WiFi (requires a security camera to know if shades are up or down)
- Operate your shades with the free TaHoma™ North America App while home or away, or integrate with third-party systems. Compatible with IOS 11.0+ and Android 7.0+
- Works with with Amazon Alexa, IFTTT, Phillips Hue, Samsung SmartThings, and Google Assistant
- Compatible with most third-party systems such as Control4®, Crestron, Savant, Elan, RTI, URC, and Brilliant
- Maintains motor/device settings even during a power failure
- Requires regular radio hand-held remote for initial programming and to set limit stops
- Must be within range of 25-35ft from shade; Somfy recommends at least one TaHoma™ interface per room or zone, and up to 10 gateways in one home to increase the range
- TaHoma’s performance is directly related to health and reliability of the WiFi network
- Create scenes by grouping multiple channels together; create schedules by setting one or more scenes on a timer. Create up to 40 scenes and schedules to automatically operate multiple shades
- If used with a wind sensor shade can be lowered after 15 minutes of reduced wind (requires a security camera to show position of shade)
- If used with a wind sensor and shade was raised because of wind, shade can automatically lower at a preset time as long as the wind was not blowing at that time
Housing Box (optional but recommended): Powder coated extruded aluminum housings available in 8 colors: white, gray, ivory, light beige, dark beige, sand, bronze and black. To hide and protect the roller (especially when motorizing.)
Low Profile Adjuster (Standard equipment.) Securely attached to the bracket or housing box, this low profile hardware tensions the stainless steel aircraft cables.
The blackout material is a dual colored shade fabric, one side will be your color choice and the other side is gray.
Cable Guided System: This holds the shade in place without the need for tie down loops and is the preferred method of securing the shade in the wind. Cables come 2′ longer than the shade height you order. Let us know If you need them longer.
Wall Mount Cable Bracket: Use if you need to mount the cable to the wall or post. Allows the shade to come down within 1 ¾” from the floor. Bracket protrudes 1″ from the mounting point, and holds cable 3/4″ from the mounting point.
Floor Mounted Cable Bracket: Simplex Cable Fastener: Shade can be lowered to about 2 ½” from the floor. Mount into stone, concrete, or wood with supplied cable anchor. Cut cables to fit on site and secure to tie wire drive or eye bolt with the Simplex Cable Fastener
Crank Brackets: 'Exposed Roll' shades (with no housing) mount on sturdy brackets. Hardware is available inWhite, Dark Brown, or Desert Sand. Choice of crank gear side.
An outdoor shade should be retracted in windy conditions. Baby Grande Shades have a 35 mph wind rating. Subjecting them to maximum wind load on a regular basis will cause them to wear out faster. Better to upgrade to the Citadel High Wind Zipper Track Shades. Shades must be mounted to the underside of a beam/ceiling or to the face of a beam/wall, and cannot be ‘end mounted.’ Installing within 3 miles of salt water is considered salty air and changes the
on metal parts, not the fabric or motors.
- Rollers: 2 ¾” in diameter to prevent sagging of shades up to 14′ wide.
- Splines: Fabric is secured to the roller with a sturdy spline that runs the full width of the shade and is permanently affixed to the fabric so that it cannot slide out.
- Blackout material is a dual colored fabric which means the reverse side is always gray.
- Fabric Cutbacks – The shade material is cut narrower than the roller: Exposed Roller-Crank, Housing Box-Crank, Housing Box-Motorized, & Exposed Roller-Motorized (only for shades completely protected from weather).
- Metal components are made of corrosion resistant materials (powder coated aluminum, powder coated steel, stainless steel, or galvanized steel. If you are close to the sea “with salt air smog” where you can actually taste the salt air, spray off the cables, bottom bars, and all metal parts as you would ocean going boats, even the stainless-steel ones.
- Weight bar: Polished marine grade stainless steel tubing 7/8” diameter with internal steel rod for extra weight. Hardened steel eyelets run up and down the stainless steel aircraft cable. This holds the shade in place without the need for tie down loops and is the preferred method of securing the shade in the wind. Cables come either 12′ or 16′ long. Let us know if you need them longer. Cable system should be mounted to the concrete floor with provided cable anchors.
- External Bottom Bar Upgrade: Instead of the standard stainless steel bar, we recommend external bottom bar for areas with very salty air and little to no rain. Available in four colors, either round or square exterior bottom bar. **Ordering this part may add to the production time**
- Cable Guide System: Shades ride up and down on sturdy cable guides which mount into the ground or onto a wall mounted cable bracket.
- Low Profile Adjuster (Standard Equipment): Securely attached to the bracket or housing box, this low profile hardware tensions the stainless steel aircraft cables. Shade can be lowered to about 2 ½” from the floor. Swivel eyelets to reduce wear on cables and to allow cables to be mounted at a slight angle. Mount into stone, concrete, or wood with supplied cable anchor. When fully retracted, there will be 2” of shade fabric/weight bar that will still hang below the housing or bracket.) Cut cables to fit on site and secure to tie wire drive or eye bolt with the Simplex Cable Fastener
- Wall Mount Cable Bracket (Optional Upgrade): Use if you need to mount the cable to the wall or post. Allows the shade to come down within 1 ¾” from where you mount it. Bracket protrudes 1″ from the mounting point, holds cable 3/4″ from the mounting point and is 2.5″ tall (including the nut & threads from the eyebolt). Bracket dimensions are 2″ h x 1″ w x 1″ d. Powder coated to match your housing box or shade brackets.
- Housing Box: Powder coated extruded aluminum housings available in 8 colors. Used to hide and protect the roll (especially when motorizing). 4 ½” wide x 4 ½” tall
- Crank Brackets: ‘Exposed Roll’ shades (with no housing) mount on sturdy brackets. Hardware is available in White, Dark Brown, or Desert Sand. Choice of crank gear side. Foot print of bracket is 2 ½” x 4”. Shade bracket protrudes out from wall approximately 4”.
- Hand Brace: Each crank operated shade ORDER comes with ONE free properly sized hand brace. Move the hand brace from shade to shade to operate them. Comes in your choice of 3 colors. Available in 48″, 60″, 72″, 84″ and 96″ long, you may order extras for convenience. We recommend the top of the shade not be more than 136” from from where you are standing for crank operated.
- You will need to supply your own Torx Screws for mounting your shades.
Overlapping Openings: If you want to overlap the opening it’s better to mount to the interior facing side so the force of the wind blows the shade fabric inward. You should still be cautious of the fabric rubbing against rough or solid surfaces. If you prefer to mount to the exterior side and overlap solid or rough surfaces, we recommend shimming out your brackets or housing box at least 2” to help alleviate potential fraying or premature wearing out of the material. If your header and sides are completely level we can also make the shade fabric the size of your opening width minus ½” to make up for irregularities. This covers your opening and minimizes the chance of damage to the material. Damage to the fabric or failure of the bottom pocket weld are not covered by warranty if you install with the fabric overlapping a solid surface (posts, walls, window frames, etc.).
- Use a steel tape measure – Do not use cloth
- Measure to the nearest 1/8” – Never round up
- Always give width before height – Measure in inches
- Give us raw dimensions. Do not take your own deductions
- If adjoining shades meet at a corner, let us know as one or both may need to be cut narrower to ensure they don’t conflict
Always feel free to call us for help and email us photos of where you want to install.
Measure Width (inches): Measure width at the top, middle and bottom. Give the narrowest dimension especially between any protruding trim, bolts etc
Measure Height (inches): Measure height from the top face or underside of the header beam to where you want the shade to drop.
For Crank operated shades we will also need to know the height from the ground to properly size a hand brace
The shade mounts to the surface or face above your opening on the interior or exterior of your structure
Minimum Height Required: 4 1/2” above opening*
*Recommended Clear Height Above Opening: 7” to allow shade to disappear from your line of vision. Any protrusions such as bolts, trim will need to be addressed so shade hangs straight, level and plumb.
The shade mounts from the top down inside the frame of your structure.
Minimum Depth Required: 4 1/2″. Must be flat, level and have no protrusions (trim or bolts) within your opening frame.
The housing box and bottom bar will be in your line of vision when shade is rolled up. Housing box is 4 1/2″ tall and bottom bar hangs down 2″ (see diagram below).
The bottom bar hangs below the housing box 2″ when shade is rolled all the way up
The housing box must to be mounted to a sound structure. Holes need to be drilled 1 1/4” from each end using two fasteners per side.
Baby Grande Shades ™ use a sturdy cable guide system that allow the shade to be positioned at any desired height without the need for tie downs. These cables keep the shades wind worthy in gusts up to 35 mph.
Cables run plumb from the top of the shade to the bottom mount.
Floor mounted stainless steel cables come standard with your order, or you can upgrade to wall mounted cables.
**Blackout shades CANNOT be mounted CLOSER THAN 2 FEET from a heat source**
Baby Grande Blackout Samples
Click on a swatch color to enlarge then select add to cart below.
If you motorize or want a more finished look for the shade, scroll down to select the powder coat samples.
Blackout material is a dual colored shade fabric, wherein one side will be your color choice and the other side is gray. Most put the gray on the inside as no light comes through, but you can choose the other way if you prefer. View Example of Shade Roller.
Soltis Blackout material comes 67″ wide. Any shade larger than 67″ wide and also taller than x 65″ high will require a horizontal sonically welded seam approximately ½” tall. View Seam Example.
Housing Box Powder Coat Samples
The aluminum housing box covers and protects the roller. Motorized shades must have a housing box. The housing box keeps the shade fresher for long lasting use.
Recommended Fabric & Housing Box Colors
Please print or download for your needs. Instructions no longer included in packaging.