Affordable Sun Guardian Shades
This outdoor shade withstands breezes up to 10-15 mph.
Enjoy your view, comfort and daytime privacy. By reducing the sun’s glare and heat, and protecting your interior from fading, these woven fabric shades will add to your living space and reduce your air conditioning costs. For windier conditions consider our Baby Grande or Grande Heavy Duty Construction Solar Shades.
12′w x 12′h (144″w x 144″h)
BILL BOCK, CHARLOTTE, NC
Transparent outdoor solar shades make patios, decks, porches, pergolas, lanais and gazebos more comfortable. Designed to block the sun’s heat and glare and reduce fading, the woven fabric also allows air to pass though for ventilation. Outdoor shades stop more heat than interior ones. Transparent shades provide daytime privacy with full vision outwards at maximum dimensions of 144 inches by 144 inches and winds up to 15 mph.Your choice of color and weave openness determine heat rejection and light diffusion.
Darker colors stop heat by 10% over lighter colors.
Sun Guardian™ All Weather Fabrics are constructed from the toughest PVC coated polyester, rated # 1 in durability and performance. They are more mold, mildew and bacteria resistant due to the addition of Microban, a biocide in the vinyl coating.
Sun Guardian™ Fabrics come extra wide to minimize the need for seams. If seams are required they are sonically welded for the strongest possible bonding.
Flammability: Flame Retardant
California Title 4 (register 82, No. 42 10/16/82) papa
Powder Coat Choices
Outdoor rated clutches
If you’ve got windy conditions, switch to our Heavy Duty Solar Shades.
- Our outdoor shades are built to last. Custom manufactured to your exact specifications, Sun Guardian shades are triple locked to rust proof rollers with spring loaded clips and then sealed with a weatherproof bonding to protect against the elements.
- Our outdoor shade fabrics are engineered to withstand years of outdoor use. They are fade and flame resistant, remain stable under hot and cold temperatures, have an extra layer of biocide to inhibit the mold and mildew, and comes in extra wide widths to reduce the need for seaming.
- Brackets: are marine grade with a rust proof powder coating. They come in your choice of black or white. For corrosive salt water exposure we recommend upgrading to our Dacromet brackets.
- Rollease Exterior rated clutches in matching black or white, have stainless steel internal springs to avoid rust. Super Clutches are automatically added to large shades to reduce the effort required to lift heavy shades.
- Chains are UV resistant and won’t break down. Chain lengths are 3/4’s of the way down the shade.
- Outdoor shades are constructed with a heavy duty aluminum weight bar at the bottom to prevent fraying. This bar comes in white, black, bronze, light beige, or gray and is secured to the welded bottom weight pocket.
- Stainless steel D Rings with self tapping screws are included with each shade to tie it down. Also available are optional custom 6″ bungee cords. Secure bungee cords to the D Rings as shown in the photo to minimize how much the shades move in windy conditions. We can custom manufacturer bungee cords to the length you need.
- An optional cable system on each side of the shade helps stabilize the shade movement.
- Optional 4” aluminum housing in 8 matching colors hide the roller are available. Housing mounts either to the face of a beam or the underside of a beam. Bottom bar does not retract up into housing; about 1 1/2″ of bottom bar will show below. If the drop is more than 132″ you will need to upgrade to our Baby Grande shade in a 4 1/2″ aluminum housing.
- Optional Side Rails are offered in 8 colors. Side rails are 2″ wide and 3/4″ deep. Side rails lock down the bottom bar of the shade only. There is a 1/4″ gap between the side of the fabric and the beginning of the side rails so the fabric will not blow out. Side rails require a level, even mounting surface (not more than 1/4″ shim is acceptable). Request L Channel brackets for inside mounting side rails. Housing box required with side rails.
- L shaped fascias are available to hide the front of the roller. Top and back of shade are exposed; fascias covers front and bottom of roller. Bottom bar does not retract up into fascia; about 1 1/2″ of bottom bar will show below. Some light can come through these as they are not a sealed box.
- A reverse roll to hide the roller is offered at no charge. Available with exposed roll only.
- You will need to supply your own mounting screws/lag bolts.
Sun GuardianTM Fabrics come extra wide to minimize the need for seams. If seams are required they are sonically welded for the strongest possible bonding.
Overlapping Openings: When mounting to the exterior side of a structure, we do not advise overlapping, especially against a rough surface. The wind can blow the shade up against it and eventually cause damage. If you want to overlap the opening it’s better to mount to the interior facing side so the force of the wind blows the shade inward. Still be cautious of rough surfaces.
- Decide whether you want the shade mounted on the inside or outside of the opening.
- Always use a steel measuring tape.
- Measure to the nearest 1/8”. Never round up, even if it’s just a 1/16th” more.
- Give us raw dimensions. Do not take your own deductions. We will do that.
- Always give width before height.
- If any adjoining shades meet at a corner, let us know as one or both may need to be cut narrower to ensure they don’t conflict.
- Always feel free to call us for help and email us photos of where you want to install.
- Measure width at the top, middle, and bottom. Give the narrowest dimension especially between any protruding trim. Do not make any deductions.
- Measure height from the top face or underside of the header beam to where you want the shade to drop. For crank operated shades we will also need to know the height from the ground to properly size a hand brace.
- For bottom of shades to disappear from your line of vision: Baby Grande add 6 ½” to opening height, for Grande add 7 ½” to opening height.
- Measure width from outside of the post to outside of the post at the top, middle, and bottom. We recommend mounting the shade from the inside of the structure so the wind doesn’t forcing the material against hard or uneven surfaces.
- Measure the width of the inside of the opening. We will tell you the width of the shade material so you can check for fabric overlap.
- Measure the height from the top face of the header beam to where you want the shade to drop. For crank operated shades we will also need to know the height from the ground to properly size a hand brace.
- To hide the shade from your line of vision when mounting to the face of a beam, add 6 ½” to the opening height for the Baby Grande or 7 ½” for the Grande.
- Measure the width of the full span of space you have to fit the shades in at the top, middle, and bottom.
- Measure the end to center post and center to center post widths at the top, middle, and bottom. Tell us the raw measurements. Let us take the deduction for fit.
- Measure width of the inside of the opening. We will tell you the width of the shade material so you can check for fabric overlap.
- Measure the height from top face of the header beam to where you want the shade to drop. For crank operated shades we will also need to know the total height from the ground to properly size a hand brace.
- If not ordering the shade to drop all the way down, let us know
3% and 5% Openness are best for early morning and late afternoon blinding sun.
Darker colors provide sharper outward visibility and 10% more heat rejection than lighter colors. Lighter colors allow in more natural light.
*Shades larger than 120″wide x 117″high will require a horizontal sonically welded seam approximately ½” tall.
**Shades larger than 96″wide x 94″high will require a horizontal sonically welded seam approximately ½” tall .
***Shades larger than 126″wide x 123″high will require a horizontal sonically welded seam approximately ½” tall.
Powder Coat Samples
For aluminum housing box
Some footage may show components that do not look exactly like the ones you will receive, but the procedure being demonstrated is correct.