CITADEL Classic™ High Wind Zipper Track Clear Vinyl Shades
Outdoor Clear Shades For Heavy Winds
The CITADEL Classic™ Zipper Track with clear vinyl and solid borders is by far the strongest retractable shade available against the elements. Completely reengineered, it sets the new standard of excellence in high wind retractable shades. Clear vinyl is operable down to -20 degrees F without cracking. Made with 20 ml marine grade double polished vinyl that blocks 90% of the UV. Add a safe heater and make yourself toasty warm outdoors. Custom manufactured to your specific dimensions. Manual or motorized.
Withstands winds up to 50mph
Identifying Wind Speed
14’w x 10’h (168″w x 120″h)
Crank operated or motorized
4 ½” Housing Box, 2 1/4″ side rails (Fabric Retention Tracks)
For Larger shades order the Citadel Brawny Clear Vinyl Shades
The Citadel High Wind Zipper Track ™ has replaced the Fortress Zipper Track ™. We will continue to offer the Fortress until 12/31/2020 and stock parts until the following year.
The CITADEL Classic™ Zipper Track is by far the strongest retractable shade system against the elements. Completely re-engineered it now boasts bigger, more rugged components that lock the zippered material more securely into the fabric retention tracks while providing more installation versatility.
- Clear Vinyl: 20 ml, double polished, blocks 90% uv, scratch resistant -20 degree cold crack
- Solid borders: durable Soltis Precontraint in optional colors
- Thicker industrial strength zippers, broadened fabric retention bands create a more powerful bond
- Rollers are heavy walled 2 ¾” diameter
- Fabric retention tracks are wider, 2 ¼” decorative snap cover not needed( if installing into stone)
- Advanced funnel system feeds shades from different angles as diameter of roller changes
- Choice of 2”, 1”, or ½” pile brushes to seal bottom weight bar to the floor.
- Crank operated or radio control motors (choice of side)
- All corrosion resistant metal components: powder coated aluminum, powder coated steel, stainless steel or galvanized
- One free hand brace per order
Seal out the weather, wind, insects and critters from a covered patio, lanai, pergola, porch, gazebo, outdoor kitchen or other covered roof area. Perfect for waterfront homes where high winds and the elements might be an issue. Instead of moving big furniture inside when you leave for a season, enclose it with the CITADEL Zipper Track. Upon returning simply hose down the tracks to make sure they are clear of dirt and debris before lifting the shade.
Fire rating for Clear Vinyl (Strataglass)
Self-Extinguishing (ANSI Z26 1, test 5.23) Strataglass is the only clear vinyl approved by the Ft. Lauderdale Fire Department as an acceptably safe enclosure material for use in semi- permanent porches and beachfront restaurants.
CITADEL shades are wind rated at 50 mph. Shades must be mounted to the underside of a beam/ceiling or to the face of a beam/wall. They cannot be ‘end mounted’
- Rollers are heavy walled 2 ¾” diameter to prevent sagging. Fabric is secured to the roller with a sturdy keder that runs in a grove in the roller the full width of the shade and is permanently affixed to the fabric so that it cannot slide out.
- Side Rail Systems Larger industrial strength zippers and wider fabric retention bands lock the fabric more securely into 2 ¼” side rails. Zippers extend all the way to the bottom of the hem bar for a tighter fit. The improved funnel system feeds the fabric from multiple angles allowing more versatility. Snap Track Cover is removable (good if you are embedding into stone.)
- Housing Boxes to hide and protect the roll are corrosive resistant, powder coated, extruded aluminum. They’ve been equipped with a new interlock system for easier install. The CITADEL Classic uses a 4 ½” size housing box available in 8 colors .
- Weight Bar Powder coated aluminum colors match the side rails and housing. Fitted with a choice of standard pile brushes ½ ”,1” or 2” they create a weather seal that adheres the shade to the floor.. (When fully retracted, there will be about 2” of bottom slat and ¼” to 1 ½” of brush that will still hang below the housing.) 2” pile brush helps compensate for slanted floors. .
- Metal Components are made of corrosion resistant materials (powder coated aluminum, powder coated steel, stainless steel, or galvanized steel.).
- Hand brace: Each crank operated shade order comes with ONE free properly sized hand brace in choice of 3 colors. in heights of either 48″, 60″, 72″, 84″ or 97″ tall. Move the hand brace from shade to shade to operate them. Order extras for convenience.
- You will need to supply your own Torx Screws for mounting your shades.
Standard outdoor motor is the XQ5 Premium Radio Controlled with built in radio receiver. Best price point.
- Order housing box to prevent water from shorting out the motor unless installing into water tight pocket
- Create a drip loop to prevent water from running down the cord into the motor head. (Run power cord down from the motor up to the outlet so water will drip off the bottom of the cord and not run up)
- Motors can be ordered on the right or left and plug into a grounded outlet
- Motors are 120V and draw about 1.6 amps, operating temperature range is from 14 to 104 degrees F (-10 to 40 degrees C.)
- Remotes are either hand- held or surface mounted wireless wall switches and come single channel for one shade or multi channel for several shades. Factory programs the remotes to the motors, you set the limit stops. (Programming instructions are in the Installation/Videos tab.
- XQ5 Motors come with an 8’ power cord (16′ or 32′ can be ordered)
- Somfy Motors come with a 12’ power cord (24′ can be ordered)
- For Somfy motors, do not cut motor wires shorter than 36” as you will be cutting the antenna and seriously reducing the range of the remote
- Hardwiring requires installing a shut-off switch for each motor to disconnect each separately from power should you need to reprogram
- Upgrade to Somfy motor for use with home automation or smart phone apps.
- Motors do not have a manual override
Hand held Smart Line Remotes come as 1 channel or 5 channel and are available in white only. The battery is CR2430. (5 channel remote has 5 separate channels plus an ‘all’ channel.)
Dekora Smart Line Remote is a wireless wall switch that avoids cutting into drywall. It does not require an electrician. Available as single channel or five channel. The 5 channel has five separate channels plus an “all” button.” It is battery operated and easy to install. Available in white only.
The timer is a multifunction remote with 90 channels display and timer. You can program up to 6 groups of 15 channels each. It also has a clear plastic wall bracket.
Climate Sensors (Wind or Sun/Wind) XQ5 Premium Motor
- Wind and Sun/Wind Sensors can automatically retract shades between 6-31 mph
- Sensors plug into a grounded outlet
- Set limit stops with any QX5 remote, Wind Sensors do not require the SOLE one channel remote, but the Sun/ Wind sensor does to turn sensor function on and off.
- Best to have one wind sensor for each direction shades are facing because wind comes at them differently
- When wind higher than your setting is sensed for a duration of 2 minutes, the shades will automatically retract. Once the wind speed has lowered to below your setting and has remained lower for 20 minutes, you will be able to control your shade with your remote.
- With the Sun and Wind Sensor, shades will go down by themselves when the wind stops. The 20 minutes is from when the wind is reduced. If it goes back above your setting before the 20 minutes is up it will be yet another 20 minutes before you or the sun sensor can lower the shade. In other words, if you have the Sun and Wind Sensor, after the 20 minutes of calm, if the sun is still shining on the sun sensor, the shade WILL go back down. If all you have is the wind sensor, it will not
Somfy offers a variety of ways to control and safeguard your shades. It is also compatible with home automation.
- One Channel for single shade
- Multi-Channel to operate up to 4 individually or as a group
- 16 channels to operate up to 15 individually or in a group;
- Available white, ivory, black
- Battery-powered wireless wall switch, ideal control when entering or exiting a space
- Available as single or multi- channel in white or ivory.
- We recommend ordering the hand -held remote for easier programming of limit stops
- If used with 1 shade, timer can be used to set limit stops
- Multiple shades require multi-channel remote to set limit stops
- Can be set to raise and lower shades once a day
- If used in conjunction with wind sensor, wind sensor will lower and raise, use remote to lower after wind dies down
- Timer will not lower shades again that same day, it sends only one lower and raise signal per day
- Must order Soliris hand-held remote to set sun sensor and program limit stops (wall mounted remotes can’t do it)
- Wind and Sun/Wind Sensors can automatically retract shades between 6-31 mph
- Sensors plug into a grounded outlet, best to have one for each direction shades are facing as wind comes at them differently
- Shades will lower when wind higher than your setting is sensed for a duration of 2 minutes
- Shades will lower when enough light is sensed or retract when light dims because of nightfall, clouds, shadows, trees, etc.
- If sun sensor has lowered shade but wind exceeds your setting the wind sensor will override the sun sensor and raise the shade
- Once wind is reduced to below your setting for 15 minutes with sun shining on the sensor, the shade will be lowered again
- Passing clouds and shades could possibly raise and lower shade many times a day with the wind sensor also raising it for wind
- You may disconnect the sun sensor and just operate it manually, but you can’t disconnect the wind sensor as the shade will search for a signal from a disconnected wind sensor every hour and behave erratically
- Requires Soliris hand- held remote to set sun sensor which can also be used to program limit stops (wall mounted remotes can’t do it)
- These are solar powered so no need to plug in sensors
- Recommended especially for our clear vinyl shades if you need them lowered for rain
- Set rain sensor from condensation/fog to heavy rain; snow will also activate it
- Sun sensor raises shade when it senses enough light, or lower when senses not enough because of nightfall, clouds, shadows from trees, etc.
- If sun sensor has raised the shade but rain exceeds your setting, the rain sensor will override the sun sensor and lower the shade to care of showers.
- Once rain is reduced to below your setting for 2 minutes with the sun shining on the sensor, the shade will be raised again
- Passing clouds and shadows could raise and lower shade many times a day with rain sensor also lowering it for rain
- You can disconnect sun sensor and just operate it with the remote, but you can’t disconnect the rain sensor as the shade will behave erratically searching for a signal from the disconnected rain sensor every 20 minutes
- Smart Phone app controls shades from afar but requires a security camera to know if shades are up or down
- App is free but you buy the My Link.
- Requires regular hand- held remote to set limit stops
- If used with a wind sensor shade can be lowered after 15 minutes of reduced wind, again need a security camera to show position of shade
- Has a built- in timer you can set for up to 5 raise and lowers per day
- If used with a wind sensor and shade was raised because of wind, shade can automatically lower at a preset time as long as the wind was not blowing at that time
For inside frame mount give us your opening dimensions. Measure the width at the top, middle and bottom. Always take the narrowest dimension. We will deduct 3/4″ to allow for fastening housings and “L” mounting channel thickness. Measure the height in three places. Always use longest measurement.
For outside flush/surface mount, also give us your opening dimensions. The sidetracks for the CITADEL Classic are each 2 ¼” wide. We will add 5” to your opening width to make up for any irregularities. The sidetracks for the CITADEL Brawny are each 2 ½” wide. We will add 6” to your opening width to make up for any irregularities. The height of the side rails will be from the top of your housing to how far down you want the shade to drop. The tracks will be several inches longer than needed to allow for any variances. You will need to cut the rails on site.
Drawings/Specs Schematics (Tech Information PDF’s)